Ontario's career development practitioners move one step closer to certification.
June 10 2011
Consultation day. A consultation day was organized on June 10, 2011 at Humber College by a group of seasoned career practitioners with organizational roots across the sector. This 'Working Group' succeeded in bringing together 100 interested career practitioners from across Ontario to hear about recent developments in Canada on the certification front.
The purpose of the day was to determine if Ontario practitioners wanted a provincial credential. If so, the Working Group would recommend forming a Stewardship Group to guide its introduction in a planned and organized way. This elected group would be given the responsibility to:
- Research certification models and processes,
- Consult with career development practitioners and stakeholders over the next two to three years, and ultimately
- Design a model and process that is agreeable to Ontario practitioners.
At the end of the consultation, 97% of the (albeit small) group of 100 participants voted in favour of proceeding with the development of an Ontario-based career development certification. A process was thus launched to nominate and elect a Stewardship Group to do so.
For more details about this June 10 consultation meeting, click here.
July 18 2011
The Stewardship Group was voted in on July 18, 2011. It includes:
- Maureen Burbank -- Program Coordinator, London Employment Help Centre; OACDP Provincial Chair and Former Chair of London OACDP, Committee Member of Common Assessment Steering Committee for London Middlesex
- Jennifer Davies -- Entrepreneur, Jennifer Davies Online, Kitchener
- Wendy Molotkow -- Manager, Toronto Employment & Social Services
- Diane Moore -- Coordinator and Professor, George Brown College, Toronto; Governor & Secretary, Board of Governors, Institute of Career Certification International
- Rose-Marie Nigli -- Counsellor/Disability Consultant, George Brown College, Toronto
- Melanie Richardson -- Cooperative Education Advisor, Centennial College, Toronto
- Pat Roberts -- Career Consultant, Georgian College, Barrie
- Jennifer Woodside -- Career Advisor, University of Waterloo; Program Advisory Committee member for CDP Program, Conestoga College
Nov. 4 2011
Launching the Stewardship Group. The new Stewardship Group and a few Working Group representatives met on November 4, 2011 to pass the baton, so to speak. The Stewardship Group's mission was discussed and the Working Group representatives assisted this new committee to determine its key goals, roles, and challenges for the following 12-18 months. Maureen Burbank was elected Chair, Diane Moore as Vice-Chair, Jen Davies and Melanie Richardson as Communication Chairs, and Wendy Molotkow and Rose-Marie Nigli as Research Chairs. The Stewardship Committee agreed to meet every two weeks for one hour via a secure online meeting platform.
Nov. 22 2011
Nov. 22 2011
Stewardship Group activities. The Stewardship Group met for the first time on November 22 and continues to do so bi-monthly, via a web platform that allows for live screen and document-sharing throughout its discussions. A key group accomplishment to date has been the establishment of the website www.cdpcertontario.ca and a group account on LinkedIn called Stewardship Group for Career Development Practitioners. There will be regular updates made to each as the Stewardship Group makes progress. The group looks forward to bringing a recommended certification model to Ontario's career development practitioners. Stay tuned!